The Guardian· Europe
Spain to allow 500 children in Ceuta to go to mainland in immigration U-turn
Madrid government changes stance after previously saying anyone who entered territory illegally would be sent backEurope live – latest updatesThe Spanish government has U-turned and said it will allow 500 migrant children in Ceuta to relocate to the mainland.The majority of the estimated 70,000 people who crossed into Ceuta – a Spanish territory on the coast of north Africa – on 30 July have retur
Published Wednesday, 19 August 2026 at 14:33

Madrid government changes stance after previously saying anyone who entered territory illegally would be sent backEurope live – latest updatesThe Spanish government has U-turned and said it will allow 500 migrant children in Ceuta to relocate to the mainland.The majority of the estimated 70,000 people who crossed into Ceuta – a Spanish territory on the coast of north Africa – on 30 July have returned to Morocco. However, under Spanish law, the state has a duty of care to young, unaccompanied migrants until they reach the age of 18. Continue reading...
This is a syndicated summary. Read the full story at the original publisher:
Read on The Guardian →